The Centre for Materials Research (CMR) set up in 2018 focuses on research related to the processing and characterisation of composite materials on the basis ofcharacterization, mechanical, tribological, and machining properties.
To achieve excellence in materials research and education by combining local resources and expertise, in order to provide solutions to complex technical challenges in material design, enhancement, utilization, and identification.
- • To lead an interconnected, interdisciplinary materials research community across the different units of VISTAS.
- • To nurture, grow and support excellence in materials research through team development and ensuring best research infrastructure.
- • To drive an innovation ecosystem to connect, create and deliver value for our students, staff and external partners.
The centre is focused on advanced engineering research in materials processing and testing. The objectives of the centre for materials research are
- • To provide various facilities, to carry out the research work on metal matrix and polymer matrix composites for Ph.D., M.Tech., and B. E., students and industries.
- • To conduct various tests on the alloys and composite materials for the students of other Institutes to generate the revenue.
- • Provide the facility for the fabrication of composite and other alloy materials.
- • Faculty members and students are publishing the papers in reputed journals by utilising the facility of CMR.
Initially the optical microscope and computer assisted modelling, analysis and design has been commissioned at the centre to aid research activities. Now, the centre is equipped with essential facilities required for students and staffs to conduct quality research. These include:
- • Optical Microscope
- • Weighing Machine
- • Muffle Furnace
- • Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
- • Energy Dispersive X-Ray analysis (EDX)
- • X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
- • Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
- • Fabrication of polymer composites using hand layup method
Since its inception, the centre has supported the research activities of the many students to complete their Doctoral, PG and UG projects and aids to publish technical articles in high impact journals.
Dr. M. Chandrasekaran
Professor & Director,
Center for Materials Research (CMR)
Chennai - 600 117, Tamil Nadu, India
Mobile: 99625 06351